Monday, October 24, 2011

Copy Cat Chow: Fiesta Lime Chicken


Copy Cat Chow
The infamous copy cat recipe.  Why dine out when you can dine in…on the same food and for less! Plus, creating restaurant favorites at home is a great adventure.  It’s akin to being a detective.  You ask yourself questions like “What taste is that?” and later on, “Wonder how much of this I add?”  I have crafted some copy cat recipes from my favorite restaurants to share with you.  How do you create your restaurant favorites at home?  Experimentation, dedication, and a positive attitude (this is serious business).


Applebee’s Fiesta Lime Chicken
Applebee’s is not my favorite restaurant, but I have to admit I love their Fiesta Lime Chicken dish.  It’s a tangy marinated grilled chicken breast topped with a zesty lime sauce and gooey melted cheese.  I don’t want to burst their bubble, but my neighborhood is just as good as theirs and I can feed four neighbors for the price they charge one neighbor.
What you’ll need:




Fiesta Lime Chicken
4 boneless skinless chicken breast
1 cup water
1/3 cup teriyaki sauce
3 teaspoons chopped garlic (can use dried)
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
½ teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon ginger
1/4 cup mayonnaise
¼ cup sour cream
2 tablespoons salsa
1 tablespoon  milk
1 tablespoon Cajun seasoning
¼ teaspoon hot sauce
2 cups shredded Colby Jack cheese
2 cups tortilla strips

First, prepare your marinade.  Combine 1 cup water, 1/3 cup teriyaki sauce, 3 teaspoons chopped garlic, 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce, ½ teaspoon salt, and ¼ teaspoon ginger in large bowl. Add chicken. Cover and marinate for at least one hour.



Next, prepare your sauce. Combine 1/4 cup mayonnaise, ¼ cup sour cream, 2 tablespoons salsa, 1 tablespoon milk, 1 tablespoon Cajun seasoning, and ¼ teaspoon hot sauce in a small bowl. Cover and refrigerate (you'll see the sauce later on)

Grill chicken until cooked through. I use a cast-iron griddle, but you could use an outdoor grill, broiler, or just a regular pan.



Brush chicken with sauce throughout grilling process.


Cover medium size baking sheet with aluminum foil (just shorten clean-up time).  Place chicken on sheet. Cover each piece of chicken with sauce (see sauce below) and then cheese. Broil chicken until cheese is melted. 





Serve on a bed of tortilla strips and top with lime garnish (I squeeze my lime over the top).  I also serve red skinned mashed potatoes on the side.


0 comments:

Post a Comment